Thursday, October 27, 2011

Making the Move

Yesterday I brought my two to the boarding barn for the winter months. I'm divided about how I feel about the move. On one hand, there were people. I mean, I could actually interact with people around horses. How cool is that going to be? On the other hand, I can no longer go outside and pet a fuzzy pony nose, or listen to RC chew while drinking coffee.... When I woke up this morning with no horses to feed, no hay to bring out, nothing to do but walk the poodles, I'll admit, I felt a little sad. Delight will no longer come running to the fence when she hears the truck come up the drive after work. RC will no longer wait to be let out in the front yard to graze. sigh, I guess I can't have it all.


An Empty Barn

In other, bad, news, RC's been off for a week after getting his feet done. He's very very tender, and yesterday I noticed that his feet were hot to the touch and he's got a ridge at the top of his hoof wall. My first thought was founder. I'm still hoping I'm wrong about that, especially since he hasn't been eating feed, the hay is quality, but not timothy or alfalfa. The grass is fall grass, and mostly dried. I'm crossing my fingers that it's inflammation from a bad farrier job.

I've been spoiled by Jake and Jessie all these years with no shoeing issues.

Unfortunately after that unsettling discovery yesterday, I got a call this morning. RC got out of his stall last night, and -you guessed it- into the feed room. Now I have to worry about what he consumed in alfalfa pellets on top of his existing foot issue. How did that horse break out of his stall? He's the only nut in a box of screws... Day 1 at the new barn did not go well at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment