Monday, September 10, 2012

The Fall

 I know, that title got your hopes up for an exciting post about me parting ways with one of the ponies, didn’t it? Well stop that. Stop that now.


Also, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I was actually referring to the changing of the seasons; what with labor day come and gone, the warm days of summer are waning, giving way to the icy grip of winter.

Stop being so flippin’ dramatic. It’s autumn. Suck it up.

Fair enough. It’s just been one of those weeks, you know? You may have noticed that it’s been a while between posts… That’s because I have had absolutely nothing nice to say in the last week. I’ve been cranky and tired and my horses are trying to self destruct, evidently.

In the last week alone…

London has tried to off himself on something out in the pasture, during the day. He came in Wednesday with a two inch gash on the inside of his right forearm above the chestnut and three punctures on the inside of his left forearm. I walked the pasture up down and around looking for a stick or fence post or one of RC’s lost shoes (I swear they end up in Narnia). Nothing. There wasn’t so much as a a twig that London could have used to hurt himself.
Note the one bell boot on RC. Protecting that last shoe...

RC lost a bell boot and a shoe. Off of different feet… Explain that one to me. I had been so proud of how long he’s gone between lost shoes, even though he did lose a bell boot last shoeing cycle- but he kept the shoe, which was the important thing (and had to wear the Pink Bell Boots of Shame and Sparkles until I can replace the cheapie black ones). Of course he’s due to have his feet done in a week, so if it were any other time, I’d just say screw it and let him go around one shoe short of s full set (it’s a metaphor for his life…), BUT I have a student who would like to take him to the schooling show in Wisconsin this weekend. Who hasn’t ridden him since the last schooling show…. Which is a whole other source of stress for me.

Tilly has developed a girth gal, so she’s had a few days off until it disappears and I can stop feeling like a terrible trainer. Poor pony…

In retribution for the girth gall, Tilly evidently then decided to give Delight a haircut. A week before the schooling show. She chewed off half of Delight’s mane at the unbraidable length of ½-1” long. For half of her neck. There just isn’t time for that mane to grow back to a neat and braidable length before the championships. So I roached the mane off of my sport pony.
Look at the damage Tilly inflicted...



I’m going to repeat that so that everyone can absorb the true horror of what happened.

Immediately post roach.... I'm tearing up.
I roached the mane off of a Dressage Sport Pony.
The shot that explains why just doing hunter braids wouldnt work.
Look at how much pulling that mane would require.

I need a drink. And might possibly cry. I felt a little like those women on TLC’s What Not To Wear who have their hair cut for the first time in 35 years and can’t handle the change.  I just have to keep telling myself that by next spring she’ll have her annoyingly full mane back for that I can show her in lovely little braids.

Of course on Friday and Saturday, a cool front blew through and it rained – Poured, actually. So no riding. I needed some saddle time!

The whole herd takes a run...
But when I turned the horses out in the 50 degree weather, they had a grand ol’ time, which was fun to watch and made me smile again.
Name this move.... RC style

"I'mma Cutting Horse!"

The boys... 


"Whoa. No one saw that..."

My favorite part of this picture is RC just out of frame...


Of course, when I brought the horses in for dinner I discovered that during all of their fun and games, 
London lost a shoe.

Why of course he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment