Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas...

And wintering at WEF!

Hey, a girl can dream, can't she? While I'm at it, let's imagine that I won the lottery and never ever had to work for a living ever again....


Where exactly have I been? I know, I've been a bad, bad blogger and haven't been keeping up the postings exactly. I swear I'll try harder. Maybe. But I've been so busy....
Enough with the excuses and write something entertaining and witty already. Sheesh....

Ahm. Well, after thanksgiving, I planned on taking a five day trip to Texas to see the 'rents. Of course, two of those days were supposedly spent traveling, so three days basking in the mid-forty degree weather and giving lessons.
Of course, I thought that I had everything under control. The horses were taken care of, the pooches were watches... But of course Mother Nature decided that I didn't really need to see my family. In the two days leading up to my estimated departure, it snowed nearly two feet.

Flight Canceled.

Then it was zero visibility as the cold front moved in.

Flight canceled.
Go! Before that cloud catches us!

Third try: we just barely made it out before the weather took a windy blowy turn.
I do have to interject that the United customer service was fantastic when I tried rebooking. They didn't sound harried or pissed off that I needed to leave asap. They even upgraded me to a direct flight. Two thumbs way up for them.

During my now two and a half days in Texas, I gave eight lessons, took two jump lessons and tried out a prospect for my mother. Oh, and over indulged in all of the confectionery goodness that I cannot get up in the Yoop.
La Madelines, China Inn, Midway Barbeque, Chick-Fil-A.
Delicious. All of them.
You could make a lot of fajitas out of that bull...
I rode more in the two days that I was in Texas than I have in WEEKS. It was glorious! I was so sore after two days of jumping the trainer's personal horse (because, it turns out that she loves my basics) that I could hardly move on day three to give a lesson and wait in an airport (we're getting to that part).
The trainer was so impressed that she asked when I would be back. And if I would teach her show students to help their flat work before the season starts up again.

On a more personal note: I was absolutely amazed with all the improvements to the Ranch since I've been gone!
The arena has sand and a FENCE!!!!
There is pipe fencing around the Barndominium!
The stalls all have mats!
AT owns the place. Not bad for 26, huh?
Oh, and there wasn't any snow on the ground!

Sigh. It was wonderful, even at 40 degrees and rainy. Just wonderful.

And then I had to leave. So I gave my mom one last lesson at the crack of dawn, petted a very happy RC and off to the airport I went (with my mom, since obviously I didn't rent a car). By the time that I got to the check in, my first flight (Houston to Philadelphia) had been canceled. Off to the service desk I rushed... In Terminal C, across the airport. Again, yay United reps... I got upgraded to a direct flight, Houston to Chicago... but it was set to depart four hours after my origional flight.

Now the Houston airport isnt really set near anything, and I didnt know how bad the security line would be, so My mom and I sipped coffee for an hour and a half before I trundled off to make my way through security.
Breezed through it like nothing... even though I got some raised eyebrows for having riding boots and a helmet and possibly the most offensive smelling gloves that TSA has ever encountered in my carry on. And then I waited. For three hours.
And made it to Chicago where, miracle for all miracles, my flight to Hancock was still on time! No weather delays!
I did a small celebration, and settled in for the three hour wait - with more Chinese food. I do love Chinese food.
As I strolled over to the appropriate terminal, I noticed that there was a 40 minute delay. "Awaiting aircraft", it said. As it would turn out, the plane that was supposed to carry my happy self back to the frozen tundra was stuck in Pittsburgh.
Three hours later, it took off from Pittsburgh, to the quiet celebration for a handful of Yoopers trying to get home.
Four hours later it landed.
Five hours later, the flight canceled. At 2:30 in the morning.
Now, I have family in CHicago. I could have found a couch if they had cancelled it at 9. Or 10. Or possibly even midnight. But at 3am? Even I am not that rude.
Evidently, some of my fellow passengers were just as unhappy. One gentleman made a fuss, and the United rep comped us all a nights stay in the Holiday in, free cab fare to and from the airport and a day's worth of meal vouchers. I've had worse customer service.
Oh, and rebooked us all on a 10a flight home.

Five hours later, I was back in the Chicago airport, praying for good weather.
Two hour delay later, we were on the plane, and getting ready for wheels up when the captain informed us that visibility was shit, and even though he packed extra fuel, there was a chance that we were not, in fact going to land in Hancock. But, my luck had turned evidently and we landed after circling the Hancock airport for an hour.
Home Sweet Home
Now, I have a decision to make. I can either stay here, as my income dwindles due to poor weather and my riding time falls to nil in this weather, or I can winter in Texas, returning when my engineering contract is renewed. 
"Who puts a pony out in the snow!"
The positives: I would have at least one barnful of potential clients. My mom has offered my three mares a spot in her barn. I could take lessons, give lessons and continue to train my horses. 
Delight is debating if the hay is worth the walk...
The negatives: I love my little farm up here, and it feels kind of like wimping out to leave when the going is getting tough. The biggest drawback is that I feel really guilty for abandoning my current crop of students.
"I vote Texas"

Decisions, decisions. I told everyone that I would let them know by Christmas....
tick, tock, tick, tock...


  1. Texas! It would be just like wintering at WEF!

    ....well, okay....kind of.

  2. Like WEF... but cheaper! And with more of an accent.

    And the move would cost less than a month of board on Las Ponitas...