Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Letting go is So Hard To Do

It's a sad day here at chez Alison.
To day is the day.
I officially replaced my poor old Petries with a 'new' used pair of boots.
The poodles supervising the barn chores on this sad day for my boots
 
For those of you who don't know, I got my Petries when I was a sophomore in high school. That's, well... A long ass time ago. They have attended 82 recognized dressage shows with me. They have been with me for wonderful tests, runaways, disqualifications, and falls.They have been reheeled, resoled, patched and repaired.
 
My mother deemed them an "embarrassment in public"  two championships ago. Now they have reached such a state that even kiwi polish cannot hide.
 
But, didn't you get an awesome pair of Dehners, like, years ago?
Yes. What of it?
So... ?
As it would turn out, let me share a life lesson with all of you fellow riders out there:
NEVER ORDER A PAIR OF CUSTOM BOOTS RIGHT AFTER A WORKING STUDENT POSITION WHEN YOU ARE THE THINNEST YOU HAVE EVER BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE AGAIN.
Just don't do it.
I have a beautiful pair of now five year old Dehners, unworn, because I am now a lard-ass. I'm never going to fit back into those boots. I need to just face it and send them in for alterations. Why haven't I already? No clue. Hope for future anorexia? No one knows.
 
So what did I replace my poor old wonderful Petries with, you ask.
I sure cannot afford a pair of custom boots. You know that, I know that. Everyone knows that. 
I also will never waste money on a pair of Ariats (or similar brand) tall boots. You know, the <$100 boots that last about a month of hard use/real riding?
Not worth the price of shipping, I swear. Not to mention that I would be facing the same dilemma in six weeks and $150 poorer to boot (haha, no pun intended).
 
EBAY! 
 
I managed to find a pair of ~10 year old Dehners from someone who must have had the same ordering issues as I did. They are the "off the shelf" variety without the Spanish tops or uber-stiff uppers.
But they fit (well, the tops of the feet are a tad tight, but they will stretch).
And they look like new.
 
And they were less than the price of quality paddock boots.
What's that?
 
Did I hear a hell yes? Even the cat was excited about the boots!
(Also, is that a ridiculous amount of poodles? Probably)

In other news, I took a poodle for a tractor ride.
It's ok. You can say it. That's a ridiculous poodle. Porkchop (my dad's poodle) loves everything that goes VROOOOM, and demands to ride on the tractor with you.
Here we are again, moving the manure pile. Like my goodwill hat? It was super cheap and I love it.

I may have a Goodwill problem.
Interesting tidbit: Rich neighborhoods' Goodwills ROCK!



No comments:

Post a Comment